The problem was that the system was placing a random post (in my case it was from the taxonomy of documents) to were the front pages mtw_content should have been. So instead of placing the content from wordpresses page file it would place a post there. I worked around it by placing a landing page with nothing but HTML and then link that to what was the old landing page. At this point this is a bug report more than anything.
I managed to fix it via making the main page a child of another page and then making another page the main page in the static page area. Then I put everything back…. now that my site is about a week behind….